techcourse

October 9, 2010

Thing 7a

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 9:22 am and

Reading other people’s blogs can be helpful if they are talking about things that interest you. I found one blog called Messy Learning  written by a 6th Grade teacher. I really enjoyed reading his blog about writing. He had answers to some of my questions in regards to using web tools. For example, I always wondered how much editing needs to be done when kids publish their writing on the web. He thinks that putting too much stress on editing will slow down children’s writing, that mistakes should be allowed to avoid discouraging the young writers. Kids will get better at editing themselves when they write more.  These thoughts made sense and resonated for me. By reading other teachers’ blogs,  I realized that I can learn from their experiences and avoid falling into the same traps or pitfalls, thus improve my own practices. The other blog that I subscribed to is Pair-a-dime for your thoughts.  I liked this blog because it talked about parents as partners and it gave interesting answers  to typical questions that parents often ask.  However, there are so many blogs that I found irrelevant.  I guess, unless you dig into a pile, you won’t be able to find what you are looking for. I spent hours going thought them and have not really discovered that many that have caught my interest. Google search of blogs was a total waste of time. I did not find a single good blog about education.

2 Comments »

1.   Madeline — October 9, 2010 @ 2:57 pm    

I agree students should concentrate on writing not on editing especially when learning another language.

2.   Madeleine Heide — October 13, 2010 @ 4:30 pm    

I agree that one can waste a lot of time reading blogs that aren’t that good. It is actually a difficult skill to determine whether a blog is a “good” one or not! I’d like to think that reading blogs, even less-than-wonderful ones can be a learning experience and cause one to think.

RSS feed for comments on this post.TrackBack URI